For Ashley’s Birthday, Kaitlin and I made a cake that will definitely, definitely be made again. With the help of Pinterest, we found this recipe from SkinnyTaste
. It is an Angel Food cake layered with cream and fresh berries. Genius Kaitlin came up with the idea of making them in individual cups, and they were perfect for the party!
They were great for the day party, a night snack, and even for breakfast! (Yes, we really did eat them the next morning). It was pretty simple, and lots of fun to make!
Berried Angel Food Cake
- 1 box Angel Food Cake
- 1 package Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 6 tbsp Low Fat Condensed Milk
- 1 and 1/2 c. cold water
- 12 oz light Cool Whip
- 1 big box of strawberries
- 2 boxes raspberries
- 2 boxes blueberries
1. Cook the Angel Food cake on a flat tray, according to directions. Let it cool.
2. Meanwhile, whisk the condensed milk and water until combined well. Whisk in the pudding for 2 minutes and then, fold in the cool whip. Place in the refrigerator.
3. Slice the strawberries and other fruit, if needed
4. Once the cake cooled, we attempted cookie-cutting the cake into round circles to fit into the cups. That was a little tedious and cake was being wasted (which is not okay), so we ended up cutting the cake into squares.
5. Layer the cake in the cups. Cake, cream, fruit, cream. Cake, cream, fruit!
Angel food cake is much lighter than regular cake, and the cream filling is much lighter than regular frosting. Although we used low fat condensed milk and lite cool whip, you couldn’t tell the difference. It was delicious, I highly recommend trying it (especially with the 4th of July coming up!)
Happy Birthday Coop!